Thursday, November 6, 2014

The Good

Lest you think I'm sitting here depressed and lonely, I thought I'd share some good things with you. I'm only depressed and lonely about 30% of the time, so this blog needs to be 70% uplifting. But I only post about 5% of my life, so now the math is getting too complicated for me. Like Common Core math. Good thing my kids are better at math than me, because I can't help them much anymore. Which is a nice segueway into . . .

Good thing #1:

My smartypants kids all have straight A's! I'm counting Kara the 2nd grader even though she technically doesn't get letter grades, but her teacher said she's doing great and I'd tell you the rest, but it wouldn't even sound like a humble brag, so I won't. Her Spanish is really coming along. I'm happy we put her in the program. Hayden and Jillian pretty much manage their own homework and assignments, and I'm actually surprised by how mature Hayden is becoming, not to mention handsome! Jillian is rocking her first trimester of high school and grew an inch. So, school is good. Win!

Good thing #2:

It was raining buckets around here, but we've had some lovely, sunny fall days lately and I am truly enjoying them. But seriously, so much rain that mushrooms began popping up everywhere. So Oregon. The leaves are changing and falling and absolutely gorgeous. I took Kate on a walk to collect leaves yesterday so we could do craft projects with them. I haven't felt like that Mom in a while, so it was good. I even got some fall plants (pansies and ornamental cabbage) to make my front porch look prettier until Christmas. Hurrah!

Good thing #3:

Kyle's been gone a week, but he'll be home again in just 2 more weeks! Seriously, after 2 sets of 5 weeks in between visits, 3 weeks seems like nothing. He'll be home for OVER A WEEK instead of a measly 2.75 days too. Squee!!  The hardest months of our 9 month separation are over. Kyle got a teaching award from U of Oregon and things are going well in Boston too. The bad part is I'm getting really used to sleeping alone in our huge bed and I like the very middle. That might be an adjustment.

Othe good things not worthy of their own paragraphs include socializing with friends, new pendant lights on the way (see here), Christmas is coming, pumpkin pie is back at Costco, I've been running outside and loving it, Kate is going to preschool 4 days a week, soccer is over and I don't have to drive as much, Kara got the cutest basketballs shoes and Nike Elite socks and I can't stand it, I got to see my parents in October, I'm going to Portland for 24 hours all by myself, I have nice friends who invite me over, it's time to get my hair cut and highlighted, I've been reading frivolous and entertaining books, my DVR is full of shows if ever I want to just chill, I've been having some very good spiritual experiences, Pink Lady apples are delicious, and tomorrow is Friday.

I hope things are good for you too. 


post signature

1 comment:

Kelly(M&M) said...

I loved this post! Glad to hear all the good news, and I especially loved your last paragraph. So, in that 24 hours in Portland, if you would like to go for a run I would be happy to join you. :-) BUT, I know how it is when you have a short time and want to be with family, so I will not be offended in the least if it doesn't work out. Sounds like things in general are going well, even with Kyle out of town. Glad the worst of it is over. You really do have great kids. I really loved putting the names with the faces! Crazy that it's been almost a year since I was in your neck of the woods!