Monday, December 12, 2011

Keep It Simple, Silly

Don't think I'm a Scrooge (everyone knows that title belongs to Kyle -- KIDDING!), but I'm having a hard time getting gung ho about all things Christmas this year. I know exactly why. There are several reasons, really.

1. I started too late. In an effort to save money and spend less, I didn't get going on shopping or other tasks soon enough. Now I'm so far behind I have no desire to catch up.

2. I spent 6 weeks battling dizzy spells due to a neck injury.

3. I spent 2 of those 6 weeks battling a mysterious virus.

4. My oven died last week, thus no baking.

5. Kyle made me promise not to send Christmas cards this year.

6. We don't really need any more stuff. At least until we responsibly upcycle, donate, or throw away some of the stuff we have.

7. Not being home on Christmas makes me think I don't have very much to do to get ready, when in actuality I probably have MORE to do.

So here I am, 12 or 13 days away from Christmas, and I don't have the following done:

1. My Christmas shopping (mostly for extended family)

2. Baking with kids (they love to make gingerbread cookies and dip things in chocolate)

3. Teacher/church/neighbor gifts

4. The ecard and newsletter we're doing instead of an actual card

5. Packages mailed (a must since we're spending Christmas in St. Louis)

6. Christmas party planned (gathering with a few friends)

7. Pre-Christmas family celebration planned ( family traditions and gifts we can't take with us)

and so on and so forth.

And you know what, I don't really care. I'll get done what I can get done. If you're in my position, here's my advice:
Simplify

We got some goodies at Costco tonight to make treat bags for various people. The kids are going to stamp their own cards and write them with supervision. I may make some earrings, and I may not. I may add in some homemade baked goods, I may not. But we have something.

I'm scaling back our Christmas celebration this year, and I'm going to have the kids help me plan it. We're going to do crafts and activities with stuff we already have around the house, and we're just going to enjoy our time together.

I've been telling the kids all month that this is going to be a lean Christmas. I'm going to finish up the shopping and check my list (twice!). I'm ready to declare myself done shopping by the end of the week. I'm also trying to do a lot of it online.

The kids have the entire week off next week. I'm hoping to have them go through the toys and books and clear some out to donate. I'd like to put some up on Freecycle so that families without cash this Christmas can get some gently used toys, books, and games for their kids. I want to do a yard sale and donate the money to a charity, but that might have to wait until spring.

The ecard is a very low priority. I'm hoping I keep in touch with most people via Facebook or this blog. And although I love receiving cards and photos, I am willing to let it go this year.

What do I want this Christmas? A guilt-free holiday. A grateful heart. To be surrounded by people I love and care about. To make a difference in the lives of people around me. To enjoy time with my children. And as long as I get those things, it will be a very merry Christmas indeed.

Kate on the baby aisle at Target. She was so excited.

Hayden and Jillian in 2007 -- the last time we spend Christmas in St. Louis.

post signature

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Simplify sounds good! It helps us focus more on Christ, I believe. Can I help with the party at all? Or have your kids over for an hour or two? Or give you a massage? I'll find another teacher for Hayden's class. Good luck!

ellen said...

There's nothing wrong with a simplified Christmas. :)

Steph said...

Bravo. I'm trying to make our Christmas chill this year as well. The key word is trying. I still feel a little stressed, but oh well. Have a great holiday is St. Louis. I'm a huge fan of family time.

Michael Family said...

There's no shame in e-cards/newsletters! And a new over would help you snap out of it, I am sure! :)

Amy D said...

Simple is good! I'm feeling very simple this year too, and it's a good feeling. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time with your family in St. Louis. Merry Christmas to you! Love you!