Have you ever noticed how people in the East pronounce some of the Western states' names incorrectly? Like Oregon. If you've grown up in the West, you know it's Or-e-gun. But people in the East often say Or-e-gone. Funny. Nevada is the same way. In the West we say it Ne-vaa-da. But in the East they say Ne-vah-da. I love to hear news people correct each other on the air.
"I've just been told the proper way to pronounce it is Ne-vaa-da." Then they look sort of incredulous, and I know they will continue with Nevahda and Oregone because they think it sounds better. Well, then, I'm going to start saying Mahssachusetts and Connecticut, pronouncing all the C's. Take that, East coast!
I thought I'd share a little more about what we did in Oregon when we weren't searching for a house.
First we visited some old friends from Boston. Here's a pic of me and Mandy. If I look travel-worn, it's because I was. Her daughter Alice did a great job of entertaining Kara while we visited. Thanks, Alice. We're glad to have some close friends in Portland, which is a mere 107 miles from our new house.


Kara spent a day or two hanging out with her cousin Kjersten. Thanks to Aunt Shauna and Uncle Jonas for watching her. Kjersten does not enjoy having her picture taken, at least not by me.

We took advantage of a nice afternoon and went on a hike just south of the city. Kara looks like a monkey on Kyle's back. We had more fun then it looks like from this picture. I don't know why we're trying to look tough.


We went out to dinner with my sister and her husband. Then we walked a bit around campus. This pic is taken outside of Hayward Field, where the Olympic track and field trials will be held right when we are moving there. Shauna has on tall shoes, but is not taller than me. Unless I'm shrinking.

Kara was a perfect baby on the flight home. She entertained quite a few people and enjoyed listening to music. She looks pretty hip!

I don't think I'm quite recovered from the time change. I hope to be soon, though, because I have lots to do this week -- like RUN A MARATHON. Ugh. We head to Traverse City on Friday and I meet my doom on Saturday. Feel free to include me in your prayers. I may need them. I am feeling a strange mixture of excitement and dread as I think about it.
Amy
11 comments:
How fun! Kara is so adorable and it looks so beautiful where you are going to live. It's so true at how things are pronunciated out here compared to out west. It's always funny to hear how people out here say our last name. They definitely don't say it like it is supposed to be said.
Well, I must be really messed up, because I say Or-gun. Is that bad? Who needs that extra vowel in the middle? :)
That's exactly how I feel about my tri, though you said it much more eloquently than I--"a strange mixture of excitement and dread." Exactly! You'll do such a great job, and I'm so impressed that you would even consider RUNNING A MARATHON! Little Kara looks so cute jammin' to her tunes. Glad you had fun in Oregon. It will be great having you a bit closer. I hope you're up for visitors!
Alice is really good at that type of thing. We are so excited for you to move!
Good luck on the run, you're a tougher woman than I am!
That was such a Kjersten face! I laughed outright. We're glad you had a good time, and it's pretty amazing, everything you jammed into your five days here, along with buying a house. We love you!
I saw your Oregon comment on Michelle's blog, so I had to click over to see where you were moving. We moved to Salem two years ago and we absolutely love it! Eugene is a little different, but I think it can grow on you.
I feel the same way about pronunciations--like how some people pronounce Boise ncorrectly--Boy-zee, instead of Boy-see. Ugh. Anyway, good luck on your run! Can't wait to hear about it! Oh--and you and Shauna both have really nice ballet arms and hands in that University of Oregon picture! From one ballerina to another... :)
Congrats on a new home, new job, new life! I love your home pictures. When do you move? Did you talk United down in price? i need to call them tomorrow and have a talk!
Good luck on your move and your new fun home.. it is sad we all don't live close enough to get together and see everyones new homes..
You forgot "Colorahdo". I know a certain someone from the midwest who says that one. It's funny you wrote that because I was just making fun of John yesterday for saying it that way. Anyway, your house is beautiful. Good luck on the move
Good luck! I will be at Mile 19 in spirit to cheer you on!!
good luck on your marathon! i hope you just love it. i can't wait to hear all about it when you get back.
Post a Comment