Thursday, February 24, 2011

Too Many Chefs? Not so!

We had 10 chefs in the kitchen for Jillian's party, and they all had a great time. The evening began with decorating aprons and chef hats with fabric markers. I got the hats and aprons at Michael's craft store. The girls really enjoyed that. Then, as they finished, they came to the kitchen to prepare their own pizzas (I par-baked the homemade crusts earlier in the day so they would cook faster). Other girls worked on cutting fruits and veggies for a fruit salad and a veggie tray. We also made a dip for the fruit. Then a few girls set the table and we all got to eat.

Next we went upstairs for three games. The first was a taste test game where they had to try spices and guess what they were. It was funny to see them try things that didn't taste very good. Then we did a relay where they had to move marshmallows from one bowl to another using spoons and wearing an oven mitt. The last game was figuring out tricky kitchen utensils. They liked all of the games.

Then we came back downstairs to do a craft. I had them paint the handles on wooden spoons. This was fun and easy, and they got to take the spoon home as part of their goody bag.

Next we had cake and ice cream. The apron cake turned out pretty cute. I made the cake and frosting from scratch. It was fun to do a cake. I haven't done one in a long time.

After cake came -- presents! I noticed that the girls crowded around so close to Jillian just like little kids. I guess kids don't ever outgrow that, huh?

Then the girls went back upstairs to play Wii. I got Cooking Mama for them to play, but they had more fun with Just Dance. It was a long party -- 2 1/2 hours (or 3, if you were one of the girls whose parents didn't come on time!), but it went perfectly. Everyone had a great time. They took home goody bags with a small rubber spatula, cupcake liners, recipe cards, their spoon, and some candy, along with their hat and apron.

Three things that made this party a success:

1. Preparation -- there was no time during the party to prep, so it was a good thing I had everything ready beforehand.

2. Kicking Kyle out of the house with the three younger kids. They would have just been in the way.

3. Having Aunt Shauna come help. She was the best! Most of the girls know her, so she fit right in and did everything I asked her to do. Thanks!

I think you could adapt this party for younger kids as well, but the 10 and up crowd loved it. I didn't have to worry about them cutting their fingers off, and they enjoyed learning a little bit more about cooking while having fun. Success!

Chef K makes our fruit dip.

I just loved seeing all their head crowded together. I think J was showing her new DSi to everyone here.

The spice game. Cinnamon, ground mustard, cloves, ginger, garlic salt, and cumin.

All the party girls.

The apron cake.

Painting spoons.

Still in awe of candles on a cake. Some things never change, huh?

Now it's on to my birthday weekend! Hope it's a fun one. Kyle hasn't been feeling well and I've pretty much planned my own party and shopping outing, but sometimes you just have to take matters into your own hands or you just end up disappointed. At least, that's what I've learned.

post signature

9 comments:

Joel Deehr said...

You throw a wicked party!

Emily said...

What a cute party idea!!

Michael Family said...

Oh my gosh, that is so cute! I would've stopped with just one of those activities/crafts. I am impressed. What a fun party!

SusieQ said...

Katelyn loved every minute. You are so creative and fun!

Amy D said...

WOW! What a party! Your activities and games all sounds so creative. No wonder all the girls had so much fun! Love your cute apron cake too. Way to go, Amy Lou!

jonutz gang said...

What a fun idea. The cake looks awesome you should become a professional. Lucky Jillian

Leslie said...

what a fun birthday idea amy! Super cute and the cake turned out great!

Angie said...

This sounds like such a blast! wow, you are very creative. I think I'm going to have to steal some of your party idease throughout the years LOL.

Polliwog said...

I'm definitely going to use this one day ... well done! Luckily we are partied out for awhile (well, I guess Anna still gets one this year). We are on an every-other-year party rotation. ;)