Thursday, February 25, 2010

Oh There's No Place Like . . .


Ann Arbor, Michigan, for a birthday. If you don't know why, you never lived in Ann Arbor. And that's okay. But I celebrated 4 great birthdays there, and I am sad not to live there now, during my birthday week. What am I missing out on?

- Sandwiches at Potbelly's (the food I most miss from Michigan)
- Free noodle bowl at Noodles and Co.
- Half dozen bagels at Zingerman's Deli
- Free or half off (can't remember!) dinner at one of five great restaurants
- Free cone at Baskin-Robbins
- Great girlfriends who always had something (or several somethings) fun planned to make me feel special

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting, but it seemed like birthdays went on and on in Michigan. Granted, I'm still getting free Red Robin, Coldstone Creamery, and Qdoba right here in Oregon, but without quite as many friends to celebrate with. Kyle misses birthdays in Michigan too. They were a lot easier for him. I'm not quite sure what's on the agenda for this year's occasion. I actually forgot how old I am going to be. Let's just say it's a palindrome year. I've asked Kyle for:

- A morning of sleeping in
- French toast for breakfast
- An opportunity to exercise if my nausea will abate
- No chores

We're also going to dinner one night and having dessert (cheesecake? ice cream cake? decadent chocolate cake?) with friends another night. So, it should be fun, right? But not MICHIGAN fun. So if you live in Michigan, live it up for me on your birthday. They're not quite the same once you leave.

One year older and wiser too,

post signature

7 comments:

Michael Family said...

That is funny because I was trying to remember how old you would be too. I know you're 2 years older than me, but is it 2 years plus me now, or 2 years plus me after my birthday? Someone get me a calculator!

mama bear said...

All I know is, you're younger than me! Happy birth month, maybe we'll have to meet up for lunch or something!

Liz said...

I love Michigan birthday's! It's going to be sad when we don't live here anymore. I hope you still had a great one though and got spoiled!

Todd and Anna said...

Happy Birthday!! Hope you had a great birthday yesterday. Hopefully you were able to enjoy your french toast and were free of nausea for the day. Birthdays in Ann Arbor were lots of fun, I miss them too. You are such a great friend and are so thoughtful on everyone else birthday, I really hope your day was special.

Amy D said...

Amy!!! Happy birthday on Saturday! I thought about you all day and hope it was a fun one for you. And we love you, whether or not you live in Michigan :)

Ken and Amy said...

I hear ya.....AA rocks for free stuff when you turn a year older! I thought of you as Kathleen, Michelle and I crafted away last weekend. We wished you were there with us! Hope you had a great day! And just for the record.....NOTHING will ever beat the WD! Ahhhh....the good ol' days!

Emily said...

Happy Birthday Amy! I too miss Ann Arbor for many reasons and birthdays are NO exception. Sigh. Hope it was great though! :)